From scaffolds and surfaces walked on to heavy equipment such as bulldozers, backhoes and cranes and hand tools, equipment at a construction site can be dangerous. That is why it is essential that owners and contractors provide proper equipment and a safe workplace for workers in the construction field.
Because construction sites can be so dangerous, New York State provides specific laws such as New York Labor Law § 200, Labor Law § 240, Labor Law § 241 along with regulations applying to many aspects of construction areas to prevent construction site injuries.
Safe employers can be a joy to work for. However, there are many owners, contractors and sub-contractors who cut corners, fail to provide required safety equipment or don’t maintain construction equipment properly, leading to serious injury and even death.
We know New York State Labor Law and construction site accidents.
If you’ve been injured on a construction site call the construction and labor law attorneys at Feroleto Law at (716) 854-0700 or email us today.
- How many work-related accidents take place annually?
- In 2000, there were over 3.9 million disabling work injuries in cities like Buffalo and across the U.S.
- What types of injuries can be considered work-related?
- Any injury that occurs while you’re at work can be considered a work-related injury. They’re usually classified into two types:
Traumatic injuries and occupational disease. Traumatic injuries are caused by a specific event or series of events. Occupational disease is produced over a period of more than two consecutive days (e.g. exposure to toxins, continued or repeated stress and strain, a loud working environment, etc.).
- What if I work for the federal government and have been injured on the job?
- If you work for the federal government in the Buffalo, New York area, you are excluded from New York state workers’ compensation. Instead, you would receive workers’ compensation benefits under a separate federal law.
If you have been injured on the job and need an experienced lawyer to represent you in a third party claim, contact the work injury attorney of John Feroleto Attorneys at Law today. We will fight for your rights and get you the compensation you deserve. We work on a contingency basis, so don’t hesitate to schedule a free consultation with us today.
- What should I do if I’ve been injured on the job?
- You should seek emergency medical help immediately if you’ve been severely injured and then report the work injury to your employer. Don’t sign any documents from your employer or their insurance company regarding the injury without speaking to an attorney. Depending on how severe and disabling the injury is, you may be entitled to workers’ compensation benefits and may be able to sue for compensatory damages.
Generally, work related injuries are covered by Worker’s Compensation. However, there are exceptions and the interplay of laws between Worker’s Compensation and civil court cases is complex. The Worker’s Compensation carrier may seek reimbursement of all funds spent on medical bills and Worker’s Compensation payments. Worker’s Compensation’s payments may only represent a small part of actual lost wages. The work injury attorney at John Feroleto Attorneys at Law are experienced in handling these issues and have successfully represented workers in many construction site, industrial and other types of work-related injuries.
438 Main Street • 910 Main Court Building • Buffalo, NY • 14202 • (716) 854-0700